Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Its raining Mum ...

Had heard of the terrible rains in Mumbai but had never thought I would be a victim of these rains someday..
I had woken up to the music of raindrops early in the morning, and for the next two hours I was lying on the bed letting my subconscious do the thinking-whether I should go to office or not! Don't know why but my subconscious decided to push me to get up and get going for the office. So there I was standing at my window and gazing at the traffic on the street right under.
Long queue of cars bith the sidelights blinking and the fast moving people and their colurful umberellas making dynamic patterns... It all seemed to be inviting me to be a part of that experience... and finally I got ready after a hearty breakfast and was ready with my umberella to be a part of that crowd.
I stay in Thane, which is supposedly not even in Mumbai, and I decided to travel the entire route by an auto-rickshaw. Reaching the Mumbai border, I realised that no-one was ready to take me to Powai. I just couldn't control my laughter. I had anticipated this but the quotes that all the autowallahs and taxiwallahs were quoting for ferrying me to Powai were outrageous. And then I called up office and to my great relief I was "advised" by my senior to stay back. I did not even think once and took an auto-rick back home. Well the journey back home was equally eventful with the Thane bound auto-wallahs quoting outrageous fares, telling me how flooded the area was... Through this entire experience, not once did I feel stuck.. I seemed to be enjoying the Mumbai rains.. Soon I was home, had a nice lunch and a great dinner that day.
All the news channels were buzzing with "breaking news" of how Mumbai and its suburbs had got submerged. Well the media doesn't leave a single stone unturned in creating a mountain out of a molehill. I was told by my friends in the so called submerged areas that the situation is not as grim as these media channels were showing.... Anyway, I was just lying on my couch and enjoying the rains.. there was hardly anything else that I could have done. And, then came the icing on the cake. The Met. department came up with a warning of heavy rains in the next 24 hours.. 12 of those 24 hours have passed and not a drop of rain has fallen from the sky.. I wonder why the Met. deptt. did not come up with such a warning before the first spell of the dreaded rains... may be they were too busy fixing their leaking roofs to save their own skin !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment