Friday, July 04, 2008

In the memory of Arundhati

Well, am not a big fan of Arundhati Roy so this post is definitely not going to be about her. Nor have I ever know anyone by the name Arundhati in my life so far, so no remembrances for anyone. For those of you who are still reading Arundhati was a tele-serial that was once telecast on our once-very-own DoorDarshan. The story was simple with no multiple relationships, no vamp queeens and no slaps that would rebound at least thrice, unlike the K-series today.
The tele-series was actually a tribute to Nargis Dutt who had died of cancer.
The story had a good cast with the main protagonist being played by Himani Shivpuri supported by Alok Nath as the doting husband. Himani, a superstar actress of yester-years, gets diagnosed of brain tumour and that changes the life for her. The story is not of the pain that she undergoes but of the battle that she fights against life. The portrayal of love between husband and wife is amazing and both Himani and Alok Nath have done a phenomenal job! During the tough times when Himani is undergoing chemotherapy, she starts loosing hair and develops patches on her skin. this beauty queen of the yester years sees her glory fading away. During such tough times the whole family comes together and braves the struggle of Himani with her. I do not remember if Himani survives or dies but what I remember is the strong portrayal of emotions!!

Surprisingly, this tele-series never became popular like the soaps of that era (read Shanti, Swabhimaan and Junoon) nor was it re-telecast ever.

Why I ever wrote this post post was because I tried searching about this tele-series on the net and could not get any links. So I thought I would inititate this post and let those of you who have seen this tele-series contribute more through the comments!!

21 comments:

  1. The good old days..Well I was trying to remember the name of the serial some days back and I land on this blog...

    it was such a wonderful serial..and i still remember the last episode when Arundhati sends her husband for a walk against his wish..and well..the serial ends..

    though I dont think it was Alok Nath..He was some other person and I dont know his name.. Will try to find out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anusha,

    Thank God there is someone else who has seen this apart from me and my sister :P

    But I can bet that Her husband was Aloknath

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is one of the best series i have seen on television...Just too well made..
    By the way, she dies in the end making alok promise that he wouldnt cry after she is gone..The series end with rest of the family having lunch together....and her daughter forces alok to eat symbolizing that life doesnt end..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Akshat, thanks for visiting. Indeed it is one of the best tele series - Short and crisp and touching...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Lord we all know it was one of the best soaps of that time but will someone bother trying to remember the name!!!!Please.. I'm going crazy here..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Athena, the series was called Arundhati as far as I can remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey sudeep,u r really a sweet heart.....u know i love my mother so much and i dont fear to sound stupid to every body by saying dat...coz everybody surely do that......but i am happy dat there are persons who still bother to remember dat small tele serial but leaving a huge impact atleast on all of us......dedicated to all mothers to whom we owe so much and be always in debt of them......i always pray dat i get my mother as my mother in all births....thanks again dear ....stay in touch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bisu... thanks for such a sentimental comment!! Honestly!
    Himani Shivpuri became my favourite actess after this tele series..

    ReplyDelete
  9. its gr8 to knw dat many ppl knew abt dis serial, very emotional yet inspiring performance of himani ji , d character died in d last.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even I was searching for the serial but am still unable to recollect the name...that was a best so far

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally!!!
    I have been trying to show this teleserial somewhere to my friends but could not find it anywhere!
    Husband is Alok Nath.
    There is another scene where the younger son wants to hear his mom say that he is the favourite child among all. I cried buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tele series was sad, but extremely memorable. Especially scenes such as when she starts losing chunks of hair and her husband gets her a wig.
    I remember that in the last episode, Himani Shivpuri asks Alok Nath to get her a glass of orange juice. After that, she tells him to go out for a walk, and then she goes to sleep...apparently forever...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does anyone remembers the name of this TV series, even though i was in school, i loved this serial and specially Himani in this whole series....
    i tried a lot but could not find the name of this series :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes it was such an excellent series but no mention of it anywhere.... can someone give the link... the portrayal of family and alok nathji and himaniji.... a step above the best of all

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can anyone please share the link? Best serial ever.... himani and alok nath, noone can do those roles better than them

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish there was a web link to the series

    ReplyDelete
  17. i too remember it. great serial

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was a lovely series.i remember every bit of it.great acting n crisp story this is what we lack today. I crave for more such seriels.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even I was searching for it from a long time but to no avail. I still remember even the background score of the serial but could not find any video of this serial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i too searched for this series, but couldnt find anything online..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah !! I had seen that serial when I was in class 1st. I have watched the last episode of the serial also. In the last episode, Arundhati died. It is shown that Aloknath ( his husband) went to the bedroom of Arundhati where she was sleeping. Alok Nath tells her that he loves her too much and will never be replace any one with her in his heart. Suddenly he observes that Arundhati is not responding. He calls her again and again "Arundhati ! Arundhati ! " But there is a quite silence !!!!! This is the last climax scene of the serial... He cries and Arundhati goes to the other world !!!!!!!
    A very peaceful and nice TV serial

    ReplyDelete